Sue McVaugh Answers Our Questions:
What is your personal history?
I was born in Philadelphia PA and attended Quaker schools for my entire education, finishing with a BA in Psychology from Swarthmore College (where Colgate President, Rebecca Chopp, is headed).
Bob and I have lived in Hamilton since 1980. Our two children, Garrett and Tim were born here and graduated from Hamilton Central School. We are all members of Hamilton Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). I am a long time participant in the Mid-York Interfaith Holiday Project, which is how I met Suzanne Collins!
What is your work experience?
I am a member and officer of the Central New York Board of Women's Lacrosse Officials and the Utica Board of Field Hockey Officials
- 1971-present Collegiate Field Hockey and Lacrosse Umpire
- 1973-1979 Teacher, Germantown Friends School, Philadelphia, PA
- 1980-1982 Assistant to the President, RF Systems Division of General Instrument Corp, Sherburne, NY
- 1988-1995 Home Office Coordinator, U. S. Women's Lacrosse Association, Hamilton, NY
- 2001-present Fiscal Assistant, Community Action Program for Madison County, Inc., Morrisville, NY
- 1996-2005 Trustee, Village of Hamilton, NY
- 2005-present Mayor, Village of Hamilton, NY
What is your favorite part of being a mayor?
Being part of a village that is so successful. Our Village has developed into a community where people from many different backgrounds come together to live, work, and go to school. We aren't afraid to work together. Best part of all: seeing our wonderful Village employees in action!
What is your strongest accomplishment?
Keeping a lot of irons on the fire at once!